172. THE SYNONYMOUS WORDS
- dunamis = inherent power; the power of reproducing
itself : from which we have Eng. dynamics, dynamo, &c. See Acts
- kratos = strength (as exerted); power put forth
with effect and in government : from which we have the Eng. theocracy,
government by God; aristocracy, government by the best; democracy,
government by the people. The Greek enkrateia = mastery over
one's self = self control, or having one's self reined in (from krateia,
a rein). This (i.e. enkrateia) is the only word rendered "temperance",
and occurs only in Acts 24:25. Gal 5:23. 2Pet 1:6.
- ischus = strength (as an endowment), physical strength
possessed. See, e.g. Mark 12:30.
- energeia = energy; strength (No. 3 above)
put forth from within in effectual operations. See, e.g. 2Thess.
- exousia = authority. or, delegated power; the liberty
and right to put forth power. See, e.g. John 1:12.
- arche = beginning; then, the chief rule or ruler.
See Luke 12:11 (magistrates).
Home | About LW | Site Map | LW Publications | Search
Developed by ©
Levend Water All rights reserved