137. THE SYNONYMOUS WORDS
The following six Greek words are rendered "worship" in the A.V.
- proskuneo = to prostrate one's self (in reverence),
do homage. Used, therefore, of the act of worship.
- sebomai = to revere, to feel awe. Used,
therefore, of the inward feelings (as No. 1 is of the outward
- sebazomai = to be shy, or timid at doing anything.
Occurs only in Rom. 1:25.
- lateuo = to serve in official service (for hire,
or reward). Used of serving God in the externals of His worship.
- eusebeo = to be pious or devout towards any one;
to act with reverence, respect, and honour.
- therapeuo = to wait upon, minister to (as a doctor
does); hence = to heal; to render voluntary service and attendance.
Thus differing from No. 4.
Home | About LW | Site Map | LW Publications | Search
Developed by ©
Levend Water All rights reserved