130. THE SYNONYMOUS WORDS
- phos = light (underived and absolute); the opp.
of darkness. Used therefore specially of God (John 1:4, 5;
8:12. 1John 1:5, &c.).
- phoster = a light, or light-giver, used of star
light, and light holders or bearers. (Cp. Gen. 1:14, 16).
- photismos = a lighting, illumination, shining.
- luchnos = a portable hand lamp fed by oil, burning
for a time and then going out. See John 5:35, where luchnos
is used of John the Baptist in contrast with No. 1 (phos), which
is used of Christ (John 8:12, &c.).
- luchnia = a lampstand.
- lampas = a torch (Judg. 7:16, 20) fed with oil
from a small vessel (the angeion of Matt. 25:4) constructed for
- phengos = light (No. 1) in its effulgence, used
of moonlight, except in Luke 11:33 where it is used of lamplight.
Occurs elsewhere only in Matt. 24:29 and Mark 13:24.
Home | About LW | Site Map | LW Publications | Search
Developed by ©
Levend Water All rights reserved