| || |The Berean Expositor
Volume 7 - Page 35 of 133 Index | Zoom | |
The Lord, then, has no delight in frustrating our plans. When we begin to "roll our
works" in His direction, then, our plans will also be crowned with success. Nothing is
outside this final decree. The wicked as the righteous can go so far and no more.
Verse 9, which completes the structure, balances the true interpretation of verse 1, and
verse 33 emphasizes it. Oh for eyes to see His purpose, then for hearts to plan along His
way, for works directed toward Himself, and a continual and grateful recognition that
"the last word" must always come from the Lord.
Proverbs 16: 1-9 (KJV).
1. The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the Lord.
2. All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the Lord weigheth the spirits.
3. Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established.
4. The Lord hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.
5. Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord: though hand join in hand,
he shall not be unpunished.
6. By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.
7. When a man's ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.
8. Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues without right.
9. A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps.
Verse 33: The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the Lord.